INLAYS AND ONLAYS
If you are looking for high quality dental services, Buchanan Dental Arts would be your go-to dental office, because here we ensure that our patients are provided with excellent experience using our state of the art facilities and technology, and with the expertise of our highly skilled dentists.
One of the most commonly used and highly recommended restorations that we provide for slightly decayed or damaged teeth are inlays and onlays.
Inlays and onlays are usually used as an option or alternative to traditional dental fillings. They are also useful when there is a need to remove or replace an old filling. If the restoration is applied to the center of the tooth, it is called inlay, and it is an onlay when it covers the entire biting surface of the tooth.
What are the benefits of using inlays and onlays?
- Inlays and onlays are more durable because the materials used in this procedure can last for as long as 30 years
- Compared to the traditional fillings that are made of metal, inlays and onlays can strengthen your teeth by more than 75%.
- Inlays and onlays can preserve your teeth longer and that means that less dental treatment will be required in the future
- Unlike tooth colored fillings, inlays and onlays are less likely to get stained and discolored over time
- Teeth cleaning is a lot easier when you have inlays and onlays because the fit is tailored at the edges of your tooth.
- Inlays can also seal your teeth from bacteria compared to a conventional composite filling
- Among all the restorative options in treating damaged or decayed tooth, the best option would be inlays and onlays because of its fit, as well as its durability. They can also can increase the strength of a damaged tooth.
How are inlays and onlays applied?
It normally takes 2 procedures for inlays and onlays to be completed. During your first session, we will first clean the affected tooth first and remove the decayed part. This will require the use of local anesthesia and a dental drill. This step is a part of the preparation of your tooth for the inlay. After the cleaning, we will take an impression of your tooth and send it to a dental laboratory so that your custom restoration can be prepared.
On the next appointment, the temporary restoration will be removed and we will bond the inlay or onlay to your affected tooth. After making sure that it fits the tooth perfectly, it will be polished for a pleasant look.
For more information on inlays and onlays, you can call Buchanan Dental Arts at (914) 737-6300 .